Hosting services are at the heart of the current digital landscape, and they are the driving forces of the internet. A website is no longer a frivolous luxury, but rather a solid foundation from where business can expand their reach, encompassing everything from social media to the world of cloud services and apps.
Your website is the essence of your online presence, while the hosting service is the bedrock. No matter if you are a big or small business, service provider, or a freelancer, knowing crucial data on web hosting can be a game-changer, especially since it is moving the industry forward.
1. Market Size & Share Statistics for Web Hosting
A lot of technological improvements have been made since the first website was hosted by a NeXT computer in 1989, which has given way to the current cyberspace behemoth. It is nearly impossible to find someone who isn’t using the internet in some capacity, whether it be for business, social, educational, or personal motives, which is why it is one of the most far-reaching inventions of all time. These are some key web hosting statistics you should know about:
- According to HostAdvice, the three leading web hosts with the most users around the world are GoDaddy at 11.64%, Google Cloud Platform at 4.99%, and 1&1 at 4.34%.
- The U.S. dominates 51.14% of web hosting market shares worldwide as of March 2021. Germany trails behind in second with 11.65%, and the UK comes in third with 4.19% (HostAdvice, 2021).
- GoDaddy Group is at the helm of the market share with 6.6%, with Amazon in a close second place at 5.9% (Hosting Tribunal, 2020).
2. Facts on Web Hosting
It’s been more than 30 years since the first website came online. According to TechJury, there are now approximately more than 1.8 billion websites and about 200 million of these are operational. These facts on web hosting will probably surprise you, and you’ll be glad you heard about them.
- The total amount of internet users worldwide was about 4.66 billion in October 2020 (We Are Social, 2020).
- About 40% of consumers state that if a site doesn’t load in under three seconds, they will leave that site (WebsiteBuilderExpert, 2021).
- Social media users on mobile devices are the segment of internet users that show the most rapid growth (vpnMentor, 2021).
- In the third trimester of 2020, there was a 3% increase in domain name registrations compared to the stats for the same timeframe in 2019 (Verisign, 2020).
3. Economic effects of Web Hosting
No matter the use that the internet is given –gaming, file sharing, email messaging, research, entertainment, or education– a financial aspect is usually involved, among other factors. Some of the most important economic effects that we can share thanks to web hosting data are the following.
- Fees for shared hosting range from $3 to $7 per month, whereas VPS hosting rates are in the range of $20-$30 per month (WebHostingSecretsRevealed, 2021).
- Websites with lengthy loading times cost the economy of the U.S. about $500 million each year (WebsiteHostingRating, 2021).
- In 2019, there was an 8.6% increase in people using eCommerce platforms to shop for consumer goods. There are currently 4.28 billion people who buy online (We Are Social, 2020).
4. Key web hosting features
As with any other technology service or product, its success depends mostly on the quality of services offered. Even though users usually choose web hosts that fit their specific needs, some features are what make web hosting providers perform well and consistently in the market. These include features such as load time, uptime, and speed.
For example, taking the loading time from eight to two seconds represents an increase of 74% in conversion rates (Website Hosting Insider, 2017).
How to use these statistics when looking for a web hosting provider
Make sure to look for a provider who can provide speed, security, and support, like ServerPronto.
ServerPronto’s data centers can keep your servers up and running around the clock, guaranteed. Since the network belongs to ServerPronto, you can expect reliability and security for all of your digital assets. This also means that affordable dedicated servers and cloud hosting can be provided.
Be sure to take a look at the dedicated server packages ServerPronto has to offer.